Diabetes is a disease that occurs when your body cannot regulate glucose properly due to a deficiency in the production of the hormone insulin. Both type 1 and type 2 diabetes can be successfully managed online with regular virtual check-ins for medication and symptom management using DirectMD Virtual Primary Care phone or video appointments.
Type 1 diabetes is a genetic condition that often shows up early in life and is defined as your immune system attacking and destroying the insulin-producing cells in your pancreas.
Type 2 diabetes is when a person’s body does not produce or use insulin in the proper way. Someone with type 2 diabetes will have a buildup of glucose in their blood that should normally be transferred into muscle and fat cells. This buildup can lead to serious health concerns including nerve damage, heart disease, and kidney disease to name a few.
- Obesity. Being overweight is the most important risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Losing weight is the best way to lower your chances of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Age. Your risk of developing type 2 diabetes increases as you age.
- Family history. If diabetes runs in your family, you may be susceptible to developing the condition.
- Pregnancy. Gestational diabetes only occurs during pregnancy, however, approximately half of women who had gestational diabetes develop type 2 diabetes within 15 years of their pregnancy.
DirectMD Virtual Primary Care offers people with diabetes a wide range of services. These include:
- Overall diabetes management
- Monitoring of glucose levels
- Prescription adjustments and refills
- Follow-up checkups
- Training for devices used to manage diabetes
With DirectMD Virtual Primary Care, you have access to next-day appointments with Dr. Hughes that fits your schedule. If you are experiencing new symptoms or if you think you need a different type of medication, Dr. Hughes is available to help you. Significant blood sugar fluctuations can happen quickly and there could be serious consequences while you are waiting for an appointment at a traditional office. Instead, with DirectMD Virtual Primary Care, you will have Dr. Hughes as part of your support and monitoring team available on your phone, tablet, or computer.
Yes. Dr. Hughes is a fully licensed doctor who provides virtual primary care for patients with diabetes. As such, he can prescribe the appropriate medications and refills you need to manage your diabetes. With DirectMD Virtual Primary Care you will have the benefit of a dedicated doctor who you can see for regular maintenance of your diabetes and who will track your progress with you.
How Much Does DirectMD Virtual Primary Care Cost?
Your Direct Care Membership grants you access to all of your primary care needs with Dr. Hughes. The membership monthly cost is a minimal $70 per month.
If you are interested in enjoying the benefits and convenience of DirectMD Virtual Primary Care telemedicine, you can sign up by clicking on the Subscribe Today button at the top of the page & completing the contact form. Or, if you have questions before you get started, feel free to contact us via phone at 682-540-4824 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.